Exercises for Neck Pain Relief – Neck pain is becoming the most common problem nowadays, whether we talk about it in adults or children. Today’s children are also facing frequent issues of neck pain, and the reason is more usage of phones and staring at their screen for an extended period. There is a fun fact: the weight of the head of an average adult lies between 10 to 12 lbs in an upright position, but do you know when you look down while using your phone, the load on your neck raised to 60 lbs. and that is the main reason you feel pain or stiffness in your neck and shoulders when you wake up in the morning.
Read Also: 5 Essential Tips to Combat Poor Air Quality
Luckily, some exercises can help you with neck pain relief. These exercises focus on stretching your muscles around your neck and thus help relieve pain in your neck. So, if you are also suffering from neck pain, you should read this article to the end and follow our guide to the five best exercises for neck pain relief so that you can give your full time to your productivity and enjoy your day.
How to Stop Neck Pain?
In this article, we will tell you the five best and easiest exercises for neck pain relief, but remember always to consult your health care expert before engaging in any exercise. Because he will understand your pain more clearly and can guide you on which move is best suitable for better relief and which exercise move you should avoid.
Also, take care of one thing: stretching your neck should ease your pain and not raise discomfort. So, if you face discomfort while performing these neck exercises, please consult your healthcare expert first. Now, let’s understand the common causes of neck pain.
Common Causes of Neck Pain
Soft tissue injuries to the muscles or ligaments are the most common causes of neck pain. Extended periods of poor posture, sleeping in the wrong posture, or overuse injuries can also cause muscle strain.
Sometimes, when you get injuries or meet with an accident, it can also damage your soft tissues and can cause neck pain.
Age-related wear and tear
When we age, our body goes through various processes, and wear and tear is also one of them, which can cause osteoarthritis and further lead to pain in the neck. Sometimes, discs may lose flexibility or wear down, or the space around the spinal column may start to narrow down, which can further lead to the problem of spinal stenosis.
When your cervical discs protrude, it leads to the Herniated disc, which puts pressure on your spinal cord and nerves and results in tingling, weakness, and pain in the neck.
In this case, brittle and weak bones are at a higher risk of fracture, which can sometimes cause neck pain.
5 Best Exercises for Neck Pain Relief
Most of the time, neck pain occurs due to the tightened muscles, which narrow down the normal range of the motion of the neck. In that case, this gentle side-to-side bend exercise can be your best pick for neck pain relief, which improves the mobility of your neck by bending your neck to the left and the right. Let’s know how to perform side-to-side bends.
- You can start this exercise by slowly bending your head to the right by bringing your right ear towards your right shoulder.
- Now hold in that position for 05-10 seconds, and feel the stretch on the left side of your neck.
- Return to the neutral position and repeat the stretch on your left side, bringing your left ear toward your left shoulder.
- Hold for 05-10 seconds, then return to the neutral position.
- That’s it, and you should repeat this exercise for neck pain relief ten times on each side.
Forward Neck Bends
Forward neck bend is also one of the best exercises for neck pain relief. It increases the mobility of your neck and makes it easier for you to move it up and down. Let’s understand some basic rules for performing this exercise.
- Start this exercise by slowly lowering your chin towards your chest.
- Hold in that position for 05-10 seconds and feel the stretch in the back of your neck.
- Return to the neutral and bend your head backward, bringing your chin towards the ceiling.
- Hold for 05-10 seconds and feel the stretch in the front of your neck.
- It would be best if you repeated this ten times on each side.
To perform these side-turn neck relief exercises, follow the steps below carefully.
- Start by turning your head on the right by looking over your shoulder.
- Hold for 10 seconds and feel the stretch along the left side of your neck.
- Now repeat the same stretch on your left side and feel the stretch on the right side of your neck.
- That’s it. Repeat this exercise on both sides ten times.
Most people spend most of their time in a forward head posture, which weakens the back muscles of their neck, which support the spine. The Chin Tucls exercises for neck pain relief will help you stabilize your neck and realign your spine. Here’s how to perform this simple and easy exercise for neck pain relief.
- Start this exercise by maintaining an upright posture while moving your chin and head straight back.
- Keep in mind to move your head backward along a horizontal plane while aligning your neck over your spine,
- You don’t need to bend your neck and head backward and forward.
- Now, hold this position for 10 seconds and then relax.
- Repeat the exact 20 times.
So, did you see how easy exercises were, which you can perform efficiently without the help of any experts? You should perform these exercises daily for your neck pain relief. These exercises will not only release tension from your neck muscles but also improve the flexibility of your neck to move around. So start doing these exercises for neck pain from today and feel the difference within yourself.